Wednesday 21 January 2009

Wintery blues.............and where have I been lately?

This is my card for the OSA card challenge #3. This weeks' theme is to use the colour blue. The stamp I've used is from a plate by Stonehouse Stamps, it's a large stamp and it's the 1st time it's seen ink as I didn't have an acrylic block large enough to fit it until recently. The background is done using the Technique Junkie Spritz and Flick technique, hopefully it looks like it's snowing! It's such a large stamp I've just added a dark blue card layer and some fibres before adhering to a light blue card.

....Can you guess where I am? That's me on the right with my daughter Hayley. This is such a direct contrast to my card above showing a cold wintery scene. Well, it's the middle of summer down here in Australia and boy is it hot!!
So, have you guessed where I am yet..........is that a tennis court in the background??

Yes, it is and we spent Monday and Tuesday at The Australian Open Grand Slam event. The player who is serving the ball is Marcus Bagdadis from Cyprus. He has quite a large following here in Melbourne by the Greek-Cypriot population - FYI the city of Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside of Athens!

I've been reading a number of blogs from the Northern Hemisphere who are suffering with blizzards, ice storms and generally being snowed in with bad weather......well it's just the opposite here. On Monday the temperature was 36 degrees centigrade (96.8 Fahrenheit), we thought that was pretty hot sitting out in the hot sun all day, but Tuesday's temp was 40.5 deg. centigrade (104.9 deg. Fahrenheit)! I did feel sorry for the poor players having to compete in those temperatures. We did eventually get a few clouds and a cooler breeze come through after 2pm though to make things a bit more comfy. It was so funny when the first cloud came over to give us all a bit of shade.......a collective "Aaaahh!" was heard by the whole crowd!

We both love our tennis and spend at least 2 days at the Australian Open each summer. I'm a bit pooped from the hot weather of the last 2 days though....must be getting old!

Hope you are having a great day where ever you are in the world!


9 comments:

Ann said...

The Australian Open?! How fun!

Yes, we are shivering here up north, but I just try to think about our steamy hot summers, and suddenly the cold doesn't seem so bad! ;)

Shirley said...

Your card is beautiful as always!! It is definitely Winter here. We had snow on the ground this morning, but it is gone now. It is in the 20's farenheit. You have now idea how your paragraphs have all of us praying for some warm sunshine and temps too!

B said...

Oh how awesome! Hope you're having a great time! Love the card!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty ATC!! I hope you're having fun!! :) Wish I was there instead of in this cold!!!

Barb Hardeman said...

Your card is beautiful, Lyn. I can't imagine what it must me like to have summer in January! However, Texas does deliver us some wonderful balmy weather between slight cold snaps. I have several Stonehouse stamps also and just love them. Good job...

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun! Lovely card too! :D

Christine Riley said...

Just gorgeous! Hope you are having a great time at the Austrailian Open! :)
Hugs, Christien

Kathi said...

So jealous of the heat!

How exciting to be at the Australian Open!

Your card is just gorgeous too!

Virginia Killmore said...

The card is beautiful but it lookls like you are having fun. Here were are in the depths of winter!