Monday 31 August 2009

Wild Thing!

August's theme for Inkurable Stampers is "Music", you could interpret this however you liked. So, me being from the Baby Boomer generation, I had to pick one of my all time favourite rock songs "Wild Thing"! The original version of this song is by The Troggs, you can watch a YouTube clip HERE........but, I think my favourite version is by Jimi Hendrix. My older brother is responsible for introducing me to the music of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppellin and Eric Clapton, to name a few.....and I still love their music today. This was the Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll era, so the music and lyrics were pretty outrageous for the times! I found THIS YouTube video of Jimi doing his version of 'Wild Thing' at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, he finishes the song by setting his guitar on fire, then smashing it to pieces! Wild Thing is right!

Warning! If you're easily offended don't watch the Jimi Hendrix video - he simulates sex with his guitar......consider yourself warned!

OK, onto my card! Originally I was going to use an animal for my 'Wild Thing'......but then I remembered "Heart throb" (by Stampotique), I figured he was perfect for the job!



My cream folded card and blue background layer are sponged with Tim Holtz Distress Inks, the old sheet music is torn and sponged with Distress Inks too! My psychedelic swirly piece is from the August/September Technique Junkie Newsletter, it's called Al Foil. I can't tell you exactly how this is done as this is a subscription paid newsletter, I'll just tell you it involves alcohol ink and foil. The piece that Heart throb is stamped on is also a Technique Junkie tech, but I've forgotten what it's called as I did it some time ago........I seem to remember it involves gesso and Pearl Ex. I stamped him in Versamark ink and heat embossed with black embossing powder. I used 2 different font styles from Justrite Stampers alphabets to make my lyrics - stamped in black on cream card and sponged with Distress Inks. The stamped blue heart is from a Heidi Grace set, added a wooden painted flower and black brad.


The close-up shows how I put 'Heart throb' and the lyrics on dimensional pads.

FYI - A bit of rock history: The Who also played at the Monterey Pop Festival and Pete Townsend didn't want to follow Jimi Hendrix on stage as they both had plans of smashing their guitars. Jimi conceded and let The Who go first as he "had something else up his sleeve"!

When Jimi was asked why he destroyed his guitar he said, 'You sacrifice what you love, and I love my guitar'!

It's too bad he died at age 27, I'd love to have seen what he could've done in later years!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH wow!! How fun Lyn!! I love the colors on this and that funny image!! HUGS

B said...

So fun! Love the fun colors!

BLJ Graves Studio said...

What a fun card! Love that song. :-)

Martina said...

Wow - this is very impressive.
Stunning work. Love your creation.

Vicky said...

LOVE this card (but then you know the Stampotique kids are favourites of mine LOL) & the colours of the b`ground are just stunning:) As for the song, all I can think of is "The Goodies"for some reason LOL :)